Bards - tales of Scotland

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Jan 11 22:50:08 PST 2000

Hi this is Willow.
I found this small tale in new book, "Ancient Scotland". Do any of you
have any Scottish stories?

On 23 June,1314, Robert the Bruce, unarmored, and mounted on a sturdy
Scottish pony, was riding round his forward troops encouraging them when
the leading English mounted patrols were seen just after crossing the
Bannockburn.  Recognizing the Scottish king by the gold coronet he was
wearing, one of the English knights, Sir Henry de Bohun, set his lance
and charged. But Bruce skillfully avoided the deadly point and , rising
in his stirrups, cleft de Bohun's helmet and skull with his battleaxe. On
being reproached by his generals for the risk he had taken, it is said
that he merely remarked "Alas I have broken my good battleaxe."