Bards - Bards ~ Emotion?

David Pakalnis pakalnis at swbell.net
Sat Jan 15 10:17:30 PST 2000

Tessa wrote:
Subject: Bards - Bards ~ Emotion?

<much snippage>
  As a judge on several occassions, having not a thorough
>knowledge of period peices or styles, I have voted on whether their
>performance offered a vicarious experience;  the stirring of emotion I
>experienced with the competetors' renditions swayed the vote. Love, joy,
>fierceness, pride, honor, woe, fear, tears, solitude, hilariousness,
>hunger for more history... any of countless emotions.

I would also observe on how well the piece was performed;
stance, projection, tone...etc..all speaking skills.

> Here I'll ask:
>Which emotion do bards personally thrill at performing?
>Or writing about?

Ahhh...on performing.  I had a moment a few times in plays last year which
I think best describes it.  It has since changed my opinion about what part
the audience plays.
In one somewhat climatic scene (we were performing Brecht's Galieo, I was
the bad cardinal who finally convinced the pope to imprison galieo, using
emotional and spirtual blackmail)
When walking off the stage after the scene I knew I had done the best I
could possibly do.  And perhaps equaled that which others could produce as
well.  It is like many other events where you do not directly compete
against another....e.g. perfect game of bowling, a hole in one, etc.

Back to the comment on the audience, this is how it differs(from golf that
is)...You feel as if you render the tale (story, song, play, emotion) such
that you have emmersed the others into another reality.  You are the
conveyence into some other time or place or feeling, if even for a brief
moment.

As far as a specfic emotion..I dont know.  It is the sharing of that emotion
which is the thing (for me, anyway).   The easiest for me are joy, happiness
etc....they come easy(I am generally a very happy person).  I try to flex my
self into others.  Getting a laugh is easy, buillding suspense and and
excitment is another.

Pardon for such long thoughts upon my part.......

> Fond and respectful regards,

> Tessa
>..who would much rather have been supporting Crown and Kingdom
>*at* Coronation today; not feeling well, at home...
I would love to be at Coronation today...but having this the first weekend
off of the year....

Jean Paul
Bjornsborg
Ansteorra
Writer, fencer, crafter, terrible dancer......you cant win them all!