Bards - Welcome

Maureen Faulkner ladydaungerous at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 12:21:06 PST 2000

--- LrdWayland at aol.com wrote:
> Hello, I'm Wayland of Durlach.

>  I enjoy competitions, not because I wish to win, but they're the only place
> where a bard seems to get respect these days. Bardic campfires are far & few
> between in our Kingdom.....at least at the events I go to.

Maybe you should come up to Stargate for some events. Though I am not really a bard myself (just
an admirer, someone's got to be the audience), there's usually a thriving bardic circle going on.
And as to competitions, yes, there are plenty of them -- but once all these bardic types get
together they seem to continue in a non-competittive circle later on.
WARNING: Blatant plug ahead.
Westgate's Winter Collegium (Feb. 12, 2000) is focused on the bardic arts this year. Most of the
classes deal with bardic subjects and there will be a bardic challenge tourney. And later on there
will be a bardic circle where people will play and sing to their hearts' content.
YES, there is a point to the plug:
Even among non-bards, the Stargate bardic community is a well-recognized and well, essential part
of events. I hope events like these will help raise the profile of the bardic art kingdom-wide.
I guess what I'm saying is, Y'all come on down! ;)

Maureen (required disclaimer: I'm seneschal of Westgate. But the sentiment still holds.)

=====
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest, it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown.