Bards - Welcome

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Jan 4 23:45:51 PST 2000

Greetings Wayland
I enjoy competitions. I like caught audiences. But I love bardic
campfires. The problem is organization. In the old days we had lots of
Bardic campfires because the bards organized them. We knew that if we
wanted something we had to make it come true.  I am sure few of you have
thought about it but someone has to contact the autocrat, set up the
lights or fire and recruit enough performers to get it started and keep
it going. In a good bardic fire a MC is a good idea to encourage
performing when the circle gets sad or when a really good or a really bad
 performer performs. Rugs and pillows are a nice idea for a pheasant
performing circle. . If anyone was at 20th we had a fire that lasted from
11:30 to 5:30 Fir and one 11:30 to 3:30 Sat.  These circles were
organized by performers  Things don't just happen people make them
happen.

I organized performing circles for 20 years and then I got tired. We had
very few circles in our early years but with many working we had more and
more. In our heyday there were over 10 circles going on at Warlord. Two
of them official. The one down by the big tree and the performing at the
Tavern. Bjornberg would have one up on the hill and other households
sponsored them all over the campsite. After a while we didn't organize
circles anymore because they just happened. About ten years ago we had a
big growth of people and at the same time many of our movers and shakers
quit.  The old people were the people that arranged for the circles. They
left and didn't train anyone to take their place. The middle range
leaders didn't see any reason to organize circle "didn't they just
happen?". This didn't happen in the same way in the North. The North
still has circles because someone arranges them. We can have that again
but we will have to work together. I miss the fun we use to have.

I am not up to organizing bardic fires on my own any more but I would
love to help others.  I got rugs and lights and pillows coming out of my
ears. I don't have the way to get them to an event, the health to put
them out or the money to buy the oil. I offer my stuff and help  to
people if they can get the stuff and me to an event. I also offer 15
years of doing circles  if you want advice.  No strings attached.

Performing is Living
Willow de Wisp