Bards - Competitions

Marlin Stout ldcharls at swbell.net
Thu Jan 13 06:23:49 PST 2000

Lady Simone wrote:

> Judging a bardic peice on entertainment value.....Not a bad Idea but let us
> not forget that outside of entertaining. in my Oppinion there is much to be
> looked at, The Quality of the performance, if the peice is not an original
> is it period or conceringing SCA history. If it is an original peice dose it
> follow a period style or theam.  To say a Bard is only an entertainer
> diminishes what some of us think bards are. My view is that bards are also
> Teachers,  keepers of our history, counslers, as well as entertainers.

  I think you missed my point, Milady. I said that I'd prefer to judge
bards based on the quality of their performance, NOT on "entertainment
value." There is quite a difference there. The Three Stooges or Jim
Carrey might be considered (by some) to be entertaining, but they are'nt
the best performers out there.

Ld Charles MacKinnon
Bryn Gwlad