Bards - Competitions

Fitzmorgan at cs.com Fitzmorgan at cs.com
Fri Jan 14 09:03:57 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/13/00 9:21:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, Katitcha at aol.com
writes:

> Lord Robert,
>   This is Katitcha Brendwyth.  I do think that you should be able to at
least

>  show a date or period of time for the piece. I think a very long drawn out
>  type of documentation is a waste of everyone involveds time.  You can do a
>  great deal with a very little. Also, there are some pieces in which you
just

>  can not verify from whence they came due to various reasons.
>  Regards
>  Katitcha Brendwyth Eledin Stovold
>  Morning Glory Bordermarch

    I do several pieces that are period or based on period sources.  I will
usually work a line into my introduction indicating that, if I can make it
feel natural.  To me the point of doing period material is to try and put the
audience into a different time for a few minutes.   I think you are defeating
that purpose if you do things in your introduction that remind them that we
are in the 20th century and just pretending.  I think that it is difficult to
do much in the way of documentation without crossing that line.
    Then there is the issue of documenting original works.  Basically you
can't.  If I happen to use a period verse form for the piece I can document
that.  But again It's difficult to work that into an introduction while
staying in persona.  About the best you can do is something along the line
of, "This is a Sestina I wrote about...."  and hope your judges at least know
what a Sestina is.  And if you didn't use a period form for the piece you
can't even do that much.  I have several pieces I do that I call my 'Word
Fame' pieces.  Poems I've written to praise really neat things I've seen or
heard about.  I don't always use period forms for these because the point is
to clearly convey the story and because I usually want to write these quickly
so I stay with simple verse forms.  When I'm trying to tell a story in verse
I try and keep the verse form simple so it doesn't get in the way of the
story.  I think that these pieces are an important part of  my repertoire.
We need to immortalize the heroes of our current middle ages.  But how do you
document these pieces?   I don't really think you can.  Does this mean that
when I enter a bardic competition that requires documentation that I can't
use these pieces?   It seems a shame because I think they are some of my best
work.
    I tried bringing written documentation to competitions but quit after I
noticed the judges never looked at it till after the competition if at all.
I don't really fault the judges for this.  What happens during  the
performance is what is important.  I do get annoyed when I see in an
announcement that documentation is required for a bardic competition, but no
indication of what sort of documentation they want and how they want it
presented.    The up-coming competition to choose the bards for gulf war is
an example.  They say that they want documentation and we are supposed to
know what they want.  Yet as far as I know there has never been any consensus
on what constitutes good bardic documentation.  Mostly because thae issue
only comes up once or twice a year.  If I bring written documentation are
they going to read it before my performance, after my performance,  the
conmpetition or not al all?

Robert Fitzmorgan