Bards - Competitions

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Tue Jan 18 04:50:37 PST 2000

M'lady Katitcha,
Dates and time periods are very well for pieces learnt from the
historic repertoire -- but they fall flat upon the ear if intruding
into the flow of an original work "in the style of", unless deftly
handled.

Example: a new sonnet in the Petrarchan format can be introduced
as "These words I have formed after the manner of the Italian courts,
albeit in a language that you and I hold in common. I am told that the
form was fixed by a certain Petrarch; I find it useful in structuring my
thought and passions concisely."  If written documentation is also
required by the current competition, allow it to delve it to the dates
specific and the cultural transfers both implied and ferreted out
of dark and musty tomes.

Example: I tell a number of tales with prefatory matter on the order of
"This is a tale such as they would tell around the night-fires of the
caravan trade, sharing words to drive away the tedium of the long
watches of the darkling hours." Thus, I have acknowledged both that
mine is not a story memorized from some translation AND that I am
relying upon oral tradition for the style of performance.

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em