Bards - Competitions

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Tue Jan 18 06:11:39 PST 2000

Master Lucais, I find that I feel it necessary to disagree with your
word on one point in particular, and another to a lesser degree:

It is my opinion that "titled" bards of the SCA should be first and
foremost capable of entertaining the populace.  It is *preferable*
that they can do so using period material or material created in a
period style, of course, but if their only strength is research and
composition, the populace as a whole will have difficulty in
supporting their efforts to maintain and improve the ambiance.

Now, as to the matter of filk: alright, I am a filker of many years practice
and therefore a bit defensive -- but I hold that there is indeed an
appropriate time, place, and purpose for filk within the context of the SCA.
Of course, the definition of "filk" may be what we are most disagreeing
upon here.  In the historical context, at least one form of what we now
consider to be filk was long established and treasured by the wandering
minstrels: contrefait, also referred to in the singular as contrafacta.  New
words to an existing, well-known tune -- quite often new words spreading
news of current, timely events. There is extensive evidence of this being
done well within the SCA context, at least in my opinion: "Farewell to
Ansteorra"
comes readily to mind, although I am aware that there are significant
opponents
even to that patriotic work.

There are, of course, limits.  Blatantly obtrusive modern tunes performed in
modern style are generally best left to after-revels among, in the words of
the
recently-departed Mistress of Greenwalls, "consenting adults". Although
there
are times when yes, it MAY be the best thing to establish a humourous
mood --
almost never fails to get 'em laughing to hear the "Deo Gratia" to the tune
of
"The Banana Boat Song".

Distinctions otherwise: minstrels and entertainers perform for the pleasure
of the audience, and if the audience is in a mood for "A Grazing Mace"
they are not going to be very happy with yet another sonnet penned by that
upstart Shakespeare.  Here is a point where it is indeed useful to maintain
separation between the terms "bard" and "minstrel", actually.  I therefore
commend to the reader a work penned by Rathflaed DuToutNoir (mka
Stephen R. Melvin), known as the Black Bard of Meridies in the collections
maintained and distributed by Ioseph of Locksley.  "So You Wish To Be A
Bard"
gives a very useful delineation -- in brief, a minstrel, troubadour,
musician, or
storyteller is expected to entertain, while a bard must also think upon how
his or
her words will educate or stir up emotions to be directed (possibly by
others' will).

In applying this wisdom to the matter of "filk", each of us must choose to
work
from his or her strengths.  Some with no particular talent for musical
composition
but with special ability in the creation of the words for verse are better
off using
the principles of contrefait and performing "To The Tune Of" should it
improve
their performance; others would be better advised to make a recitation of
their
poetry in the hopes that others will later add an appropriate tune.

And there are, of course, the exceptions to any of this.  Ansteorra would be
a poorer
place indeed had not Ulf turned his hand to that delight of blended Norse
and
modernism known as "Lutefisk and Spam"; Sula von Pferdenthal's "Eagle Rides
Over
The Border" is no less powerful for following the tune which it does --
particularly
if performed as a spoken piece where the performer never heard "Eagle"
performed
to the tune of "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

Diff'rent strokes...

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em