Bards - Problems with performing arts at the war

Tony And Catherine Lackey catan at webzone.net
Sat Mar 11 18:43:35 PST 2000

jonwillowpel at juno.com wrote:

> I have been away from my computer for a while so a problem happened and I
> wasn't there to help. According to the Laurels list we had a really hard
> time filling all the champion spots for the performing arts at the Gulf
> War. I know that the turn out was poor for the Candlemas selection. I
> also know that many of us were not planning to go because of the bad
> weather last year. Also there is just not that many performers in the
> kingdom right now. What I would like to know if there is a deeper meaning
> to the non-turn out.
>
> I know why I really don't want to go to the war. What is your view point
> on the subject.
> Willow

	Well, my reason not to go to the war is it's right after (or in the
past, during) the weeklong inventory at my husband's steel & metal
warehouse.  This is a physically grueling week of 14 hr. days, 6 days
straight.  The last thing he can cope with is an extended drive to long
camping event.  I have to do too much traveling without him as it is and
I don't care to do it for war.
	My apprentice, Robert Fitzmorgan, hesitated to try out for one of the
Gulf bardic slots as he was not sure he would be financially able to go
this year.  As it turns out, he is able to go and will serve as
alternate to Sir Kief in the bardic story slot.
	Going to Gulf War is an expensive proposition and a long trip.  I would
think a person would have to have many reasons for wanting to attend
beyond filling a slot.  It has to be enjoyed on many levels to make the
cost and trip worthwhile.  Since I have never been to Gulf, I can't
comment on the circumstances that make it a good or bad event for those
who attend.

				Catrin ferch Gwilym