Bards - Rundel Competition

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Wed Oct 11 20:00:13 PDT 2000

>Does anyone know what the format for the Bardic Competition will be
>at Rundel's Margrave next month?
>
>~Ly Lilas MacGuffin

Why, yes I do!

Unto those subscribed on the Bardic and Northern Region lists come
greetings from Seigneur Etienne de Saint Amaranth, 5th of the line of
Title Bards to the Great Canton of Rundel.

It has been my honor to serve as Bard for such a warm and gracious
group.  And it will be my pleasure (though a difficult one, I know)
as one of my final duties to preside over the selection of their next
bard.  I would encourage all bards of our fair kingdom to come to
Rundel's Margrave/Vormund, November 3-5.  If you have not experienced
the hospitality of this group, then you have missed one of this
society's treasures.

To the point, the bardic competition will be held as follows:

~A very brief (I'll try for ten minutes) meeting will be held in the
morning to go over the rules and answer any last minute questions of
competitors.  This meeting will be held fifteen minutes after the
close of morning court (or at 9:30 AM if there is not a morning
court).  Late comers are welcome!  If you have to choose between
coming late or not coming at all, then please come late.  I will
register bardic competitors until 1 PM.

~Bards will compete throughout the day.  You may do all of your
pieces in one visit to the judges or you may scatter them throughout
the day.  A deadline for the performance of all pieces to the judges
will be posted at site and announced to the competitors throughout
the day.

~Bards may perform in any medium.  The use of multiple forms (story,
song, poem, dance, etc.) will be considered as a point in your favor,
but is not required.  Bringing documentation for a period piece or a
period style will also earn you favor from the judges.

~Bards should plan on having three pieces to perform.  At this time,
all bards will perform three pieces and the Title Bard will be chosen
without a finalists' round.  I reserve the right to change this on
site if there are too many competitors (like last year).  In that
case each bard will perform two pieces, finalists will be chosen, and
the finalists will perform a third piece.  (Yes, we had that many
bards last year!)

~Concerning themes: Rundel is the "Dale of the Runes" or "Valley of
the Runes".  In honor of this amazing group, each competitor will
draw three runes from a pouch (two if I have to change the format due
to numbers).  Nordic runes have meaning and the meaning of each rune
will be explained to the bards who draw them.  Each bard should try
to relate, in some manner, each of their pieces to the meaning of one
of those runes (try to avoid multiple pieces which relate to the same
rune).  Relating your pieces to the runes will be considered an act
of honor to the Canton and will encourage the judges to look
favorably upon you.

To summarize: plan for three pieces, try to match themes with the
runes you draw, any form, come and go and compete throughout the day,
check schedule on site, have fun and enjoy Rundel's hospitality.

In service to the Canton of Rundel,
Seigneur Etienne de St. Amaranth