[Bards] Sir Bela of Eastmarch

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at mmcable.com
Wed Aug 1 21:16:13 PDT 2001

Sir Bela of Eastmarch, better known to the public as author Poul Anderson,
passed away last night/early this morning.  He was battling a form of
prostate cancer.  Here is a note from his wife Karen and his daughter
Astrid:

>"We brought Poul home from Alta Bates for terminal hospice care.
> >We gave him Jubilaeum Akvavit, Carlsberg Beer and Boeuf Tartare.
> >We gave him all our love. About midght, he slipped away."
> >
> >signed Karen, Astrid and the rest of the Andersons.
> >
> >Please pass this around verbatim and in toto.
> >
> >Everyone is encouraged to repost without alteration.

Now, my words.  He was a wonderful author, and many of his novels I read in
my youth.  They were part of what set me on the path in search of honor and
chivalry, and striving to be exceptional without losing one's humanity.  It
was only after I had been in the SCA a few years that I heard Poul was in it
too.  This may explain why the SCA was such a good fit for me, as he had
already exposed me to some of the concepts.  I hope to only leave one
percent of the legacy he has left, and will spend a lifetime striving to
achieve even that much.

But I am very curious, and per chance someone here knows this.  Was "The
Baron of Eastmarch" written about him, or was it about another person?

Ulf Gunnarsson