Bards -Kings and Queens

gemartt at mail.utexas.edu gemartt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 13 05:45:09 PST 2001

Greetings Brothers & Sisters,

I have been following this recent discussion with interest.  At one time,
Cedric the Fiddler recited the royal lineage at one of the coronations.
This is just one way that bards can keep our past alive.

I agree with Robert:  most of our "history resides only in the memories",
and unless we strive to remember them, they will will eventually be lost.
Every experience is important!  The small remembrances of a camp lined with
pine cones, the great rememberances of a warrior-baron shouting in a
thunderstorm, and everything in between.

I'm reminded of the 12th century Geoffrey of Monmouth, who wrote a "History
of the Kings of Britain".  We may never know what materials or stories he
used, but he created a mythical and memorable account, which is used by
historians to this day.  That is our challenge.

This is a project that could be shared between us, but it could also be
undertaken by each individual.  It is often multiple accounts of a
historical event, which gives the remembrance a delightful texture.

                              Thomas