[Bards] Hello everyone!!!

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:07:43 PST 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Prepare?? We are allowed to do that??
For the most part I throw on my Jerkin and trews, grab a mug of whatever is
handy and hunt down Ulf to find out where the bardic circle is. (for some
reason he usually knows)

As to Where I get Material, I write loot of it.  However as any performer I am
certainly not above borrowing pieces from other bards. Most of us will have
one or two that are special and we don't want to share, but mostly we have
enough of an ego to be flattered stupid when someone ask if they can use one
of our originals. For perid peices... well back to the library! I have found
many period stories in School Text books, never underestimate the power of
High School Jr Lit! As Ulf said studying the culture of the countries and Time
period the SCA covers is very usefull.  after all talking about an ancient
celt wielding a claymore at Haidrions Wall would through alot of your audiance
right into comparing bruises.

Chosing what peice to preform.  Well this is usually based on the mood of the
audiance.  I can hardly perform a 16th Century broadside in a room full of
Norsemen and Franks who are quafing their meed to foot stomping songs of
glorious death in battle. But I can do a generic period sounding Ballad that
ends in tradgedy and be appreciated, Or do some thing HEinously Patriotic
about Ansteorra. (wait would I do that??)

Well that is about the size of it, unless of course you want to know how
others prep for a competition, which is a horse of a different color.

Darius
"Besides the artist two things are to be considered in every art, - the
instrument and the audience" - Sir Walter Raliegh