[Bards] Traditions - A Poem

willow taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Wed Jul 10 13:36:08 PDT 2002

Robert, I love this poem but it does point out a problem we are going to
have.

 While it has been tradition in the Middle Kingdom to bow to the thrones
since the time of king Thay, it has not been a required custom in our
kingdom. According to Robert Aspirin in his Songs of the Dark Horde and
my memory. King Thay won crown but didn't want to be King. He told
everyone to bow to the chair because kings sat there and not to bow to
him. This was the "now I am king now I'm not thing" that was very common
in other kingdoms. Ansteorra wanted to make it very clear that the crown
was in the person not things so we rejected these customs. Kingship does
not reside in crowns or throne. The duty of the crown can not be put
aside. Contact with other Kingdoms and some SCA literature introduces
these concepts but they are not a native tradition. Because many people
do not follow this custom in Ansteorra and forcibly reject the concept
behind it I would hesitate to include it in the Courtesy book.

What do all of you think?

Willow