[Bards] Courtesy book report from Conation

lanphier taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sun Jul 14 19:09:22 PDT 2002

Conation was so busy I was not able to talk to everyone. Please forgive
Sir Pendaran. I am a old women and I don't move as fast as I was once was
able. Lady Philipia and Sir William are going to do a section on hand
kissing.  Countess Valeria and Sir Mahadi might do one on bardic
courtesy or yielding in a fight. That subject was suggested by a very
nice gentleman at the event. That was as far as I got.

I realize that so of the bards are going to have a little problem with
writing on a subject because they have no idea of what are the
courtesies. In some cases we can use period courtesies. If you have an
idea on a subject you would like to do bring it up on the list and we
will brain storm as to how it is handled in our area. If we can get info
from through out the kingdom the book will have a better basic.

So far the subjects requested or suggested have been the following;

Simple courtesies in speaking. Back to what you call a duke, count etc.
This is something people are always forgetting and someone suggested that
a dittie or tune or nursery rhyme would help them remember. Interesting
idea

Favors. How to impress a lady with asking for a favor. The do's and
don't.

Other persona's customs. An overview of cultures and what they made do
and a statement to the fact that there is general SCA customs but it is
alright to differ from them and do the customs of your persona.

Kissing

Yielding

Making Challenges. especially things you should not do.

Bardic Courtesies

Largess

If any of these subjects inspire anyone jump in and take it. If you want
to something else write me or if any other subject comes to mind throw it
into the pot. While I don't want this book to be to long we can do more
than one.

Our New King and Queen would like the customs and traditions of Ansteorra
to be revived and taught to the people but this is a problem because many
of the people who knew the customs and traditions are not with us any
more. These traditions go way beyond the simple courtesies and need to be
taught in more forms than this Courtesy Book. I propose as we research
for this book we share our knowledge of Customs and Traditions of
Ansteorra with each other so we can put them into our works. I would be
good to go out and talk to our older more knowledgeable members and find
out what they think are the important traditions and customs of our land.
Someone asked why not just ask me. While I like to pretend that I know
everything, I must face the truth that I am only one person and my values
only reflect one person's. The traditions and customs of Ansteorra must
reflect the values of many people if they are  truly to be of our
kingdom.

Willow de Wisp