[Bards] other people's works.

Tessa Nieto eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 10:44:18 PDT 2002

Greetings friends!

I have read this thread with great interest as a new
bard and an experienced writer. In the mundane world,
it is ok to perform someone else's work with their
permission. This is mainly done so that the person who
wrote said piece is given proper credit and any
residuals which might result if the piece is performed
for money.

In the SCA, however, we bards perform for the pleasure
of the Crown and their populace. We are not "hired
players." We write pieces that will move ladies to
swoon, lords to do battle for the greater good and to
entertain even the smallest child's imagination. When
largesse is given, all the better. :O) I know of no
bard who would turn down a piece of largesse for a
perfomance that is well-done. (I promise, I'll get
back on topic. *G*)

I do believe that, if one finds a piece that is newly
written and they feel that said piece would be a
wonderful addition to one's repetoire, then by all
means learn the piece. But, before performing the
piece, it is a courtesy to request permission from the
original writer. If the piece is eons old, the
original writer is unavailable for permission or the
piece has been published, then that is another matter
entirely. Above all, credit the original writer when
starting the piece. This will give the writer wordfame
and make you look good. :O)

Sorry if this seems a stuffy opinion, but it seems
this way to me.

Have a great day!
Eleanor Cleavely
Apprentice to Master Darius of the Bells

> I would like to post a question to the list, just
> for my own blank
> inquisitive nature. A Bard names Silverhands once
> said to me "the gift of
> the muses is for all to enjoy and none to own."
> Baring specific requests,
> and always assuming that credit is given where due,
> how many people here
> agree with this statement? How many people want
> their pieces to be performed
> bye others. I'm not saying that there is a wright or
> wrong, Im just wanting
> to see what the current feelings are about
> perfomring other people's pieces.
>
> Ivo

=====
- - - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary