[Bards] other people's works.

Padraig O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Wed Jul 17 13:29:10 PDT 2002

I generally have no problem with others performing pieces I have written or popularized - unless they do the piece I was planning to do in a particular competition or bardic circle.  :)  I do appreciate it when acknowledged with a "this song was written by" or "I learned this piece from".

When we held the first competition for the Titled Bard of Loch Ruadh at Lughnasad two years ago, I was one of three judges.  It was an excellent competition, with many outstanding performances from over a dozen competitors.  It was the first competition for a young man named Erik Mac an Ghabhann, and he surprised everyone with his incredible singing voice and very professional performance.

The problem?  Not only is he a household brother of mine, he sang a song I wrote.  Although I thought his performance to be far and away the best of the evening, I was very concerned that selecting him as the winner would appear to be nepotism, or worse.  Eventually my fellow judges convinced me that his performance outweighed my misgivings, and we selected him to become the premier Titled Bard of Loch Ruadh.

Although it was very flattering, I would not chose to have to be in such a quandry again.  :)

Padraig