[Bards] Eflsea Bardic Competition

Antigonus Bearbait antigonus at lycos.com
Sun Jun 2 20:25:43 PDT 2002

Greetings unto the Bards of Ansteorra from Antigonus Bearbait, current Bard of the Barony of Elfsea --

(Hey, guys, it's Tiggy.)

The competition for the title Bard of Elfsea is traditionally held at Elfsea Springfaire.  However, due to weather conditions, I will be passing this title down at Guardian of the Tor -- being held 28 - 30 June 2002.

I would encourage all of you to come and test your bardic mettle against all who would be called the Bard of Elfsea.  (And, in case you haven't seen it, there's a really  nifty cloak that goes with it.)

Here is how the competition will be run.

1.  There is no theme to the competition, though I would personally like to hear Classical Greek / Roman pieces.  This will not affect the judging, I just enjoy hearing them.  And, yes, filks **ARE** acceptable.  Vocal pieces only.

2.  Pieces should be performed from memory.  The judges will be experienced enough to know the difference between a simple mistake and not knowing your piece.

3.  Documetation is preferred, oral is fine.  The point is that you should be able to tell something about your piece.  Where it came from, something about the form, the author, its historical context, etc.  "Period-esque" pieces are acceptable.  If the piece is original, "I wrote this," is perfectly acceptable.  However, please tell us on what form it is based and how you attempted to do "a Period thing."  Also, PLEASE do not claim that a piece is period when you do not know -- the judges will be knowledgeable enough to know the difference. Claiming a piece as period that is not can cause you to lose a round in the competition.

4.  The competition itself will be patterned after this past year's Kingdom Competition -- a form I like to call "Half and Half."  The gist of it is this: Half of the competitors from the previous round will advance to the next.  This is single elimination.  There will most likely be about three or four rounds, with the final round having two or three bards in it.

5.  No "repeating weapons."  In other words, no two genere of piece can be used from one round to the next by the same bard.  If you do a poem in the first round, you must choose from either song or tale in the next.  This ban will be lifted for the final round.

6.  The most important requirement is:  I am looking for a bard that will ENTERTAIN.  Have fun with it!  Because if you are not having a good time, neither will we.  :)

Ok, that's gonna be it.  Please, come and compete, come and watch, come and support your bardic community.

Tiggy