[Bards] Is "dumb" period?

Lady Simone simone at elfsea.net
Fri Nov 15 00:43:29 PST 2002

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German tumb
mute
Date: before 12th century

I think by the 1500's the term adjusted to carry much of the same meaning as
it has today.

Alternate single sylable words for dumb:  mute; mum; dense; dull; thick

hope this helps

Lady (Simone) Muirenn ingen Senáin uí Dúnlaing

> In late period usage (late 16th centaury) was the word "dumb" used to
refer to
> someone that was silly or dim-witted, or was it only used to mean mute?
If