[Bards] For the record

John Hirling jhirling at houston.rr.com
Thu Sep 26 04:52:17 PDT 2002

Greetings fellow bards:

I assume that Her Grace Willow de Wisp (email below in full) refers to a
post that I made to the Laurel List.  That is the only discussion of
which I am aware. I am comfortable sharing the content of that post with
all of you.

In that post I mentioned  Ulf's dream of a Kingdom event featuring a
number of performance venues interspersed by merchants.  With Ulf's
leave, I pitched that idea to Their Excellencies Bjornsborg, Bryn Gwlad
and Stargate.  I suggested three venues, merchants, and food
vendors/taverns in lieu of feast, and a date in Spring/Summer of 2003.
My understanding is that all three sets of nobles and their populaces
are behind the basic idea with many details left to be decided upon.

I then offered my opinion that calling our competition for Kingdom Bard
"The Eisteddfod" is a bit of a misnomer because performances that are
the bread and butter of present day (if not historical) Eisteddfods
(e.g. dance, theater, madrigal, ensemble), do not score well at the
competition for Kingdom Bard .  I passed on that I had heard that some
of our judges (that is, judges for Kingdom Bard -- though I may not have
made that crystal clear) have said those performances are not even
appropriate to that competition.  Perhaps they are right.

I then asked what people thought of planning a Kingdom Eisteddfod for
the summer of  2004 based on Ulf's idea -- one that did not need to be a
competition though that is always a possibility.  My own opinion is that
it would be better simply as a festival -- again with food vendors,
taverns and merchants.  2003 seemed too soon to do the idea justice.
 Moreover it will take some time to educate the populace that this would
*not* be the competition for Kingdom Bard.  The competition for Kingdom
Bard would be freed to attach to any event -- including the Eisteddfod.

(Back to this post) It was not then -- nor is it now -- my intention to
interfere with the choice for Kingdom Bard.  How it is conducted, by
whom it is judged and the criteria upon which it is decided are beyond
my suggestions.  I would, however, love to see a Kingdom  Eisteddfod
that could stand alone as a Kingdom event and as a performance event.

If I've failed to make myself sufficiently clear, or if you have any
questions of me, feel free to direct them to this list or to me
personally.  I always regret the miscommunications that so often take
place in this medium we call email.  A request for clarification goes a
long way to avoiding misunderstandings.

--ihon