[Bards] A taste of my poetry

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Jul 7 12:09:00 PDT 2003

Lady Serena asked:

> Just
> wondering, though, I've mostly heard bards perform much longer pieces at
> competitions; does anyone think very short pieces are just as acceptable?

There are two issues here, and I will address them separately.

First, a piece should not be made longer, or shorter, than it needs to be.
My poem "The Baron" is 8 1/2 minutes long, roughly, and couldn't be
shortened.  A sonnet of sixteen lines is too long.

A poem that is its proper length will get its proper due.  Short poems are
enjoyed, and accepted.  I've performed sonnets, and even triolets (eight
line fixed form).  Many excellent SCA poets started with short poems, and
got enough joy and audience appreciation to start writing longer ones as
well.

The second issue is simple tactics of a competition.  A short poem, in my
experience, is very unlikely to win.  Even if it says everything it needs to
say, a sonnet or triolet doesn't hold the audience long enough to have the
emotional impact necessary to be remembered over and above many other
excellent pieces.

Yes, they are acceptable, just as a well-made button is acceptable.  But a
well-made button will not out-perform a well-made costume in an A&S
competition.

(Sometime ask me about the brick.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin