[Bards] What's your Favorite Piece?

padraig_ruad at irishbard.com padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Wed Jun 4 11:56:52 PDT 2003

Robert, you have a knack for asking difficult questions. :)

> Time for a new topic.
>
> What is your favorite song or poem that you have written, and why is
> it your favorite?

I have both a favorite song and a favorite poem, neither of which I perform as often as I should. The song is Sabrina's Lullaby, written as a gift for my friends Tryggvald and Tara when their daughter was born. The tune is slightly haunting, and the words were inspired by my own children; the song is a personal trip down memory lane. The poem is The Bard Knows Your Name, a warning which those who know me take seriously. Let's just say that I have been known to write songs about embarassing moments. :)

> What is your favorite piece that another SCA bard has written and why
> is that your favorite? If you cannot just pick one try to keep it to 5 or
> less.

I'm not sure I can limit it to five bards, say nothing of five pieces.

I think my very favorite would have to be Ioseph of Locksley's version of Fiddler's Green, because it reflects so well the flavor of the SCA, and commemorates those absent friends who have gone on before us.
Tiggy's tale about the juggler who juggles for the statue of Mary and the Christ Child (sorry, Tiggy, but I cannot recall the title of the story) has more than once brought tears to my eyes.
Just about anything by Robin of Gilwell, especially if he is performing it himself.
Vivat the Dream - I think this one is obvious.
Mary O'Meara by Bela of Eastmarch (or Poul Anderson, as more people probably know him by.)  Wonderful images of the longing to return to a loved one.

Padraig