[Bards] Irish stories

TheSpatlord at aol.com TheSpatlord at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 20:37:45 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/15/03 10:21:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
willowjonbardc at juno.com writes:

<< Hi everybody

 I just got a new translation of the Tain Bo Cuailnge or the Cattle raid
 of Cooley. This one is done by Thomas Kinsella. The translators notes
 seen to imply that he worked very hard on getting this translation right.
 I know some of you have spend a lot of time on these stories. Do any of
 you have an opinion on "The Tain" translated by Thomas Kinsella,
 published by Oxford Press, 1969.

 Willow de Wisp

Actually,
  that translation is the only one I use, your Grace. I used it as a
reference in a handout for a storytelling class at this most recent King's College.
It maintains the feel and structure of early myth while providing a
successful translation that easily lends itself to vocal presentation, in my opinion.
The fact that it also provides extensive background information, pronunciation
guides and notes on the text concerning any additions and possible variations
makes this particular version of the Cattle Raid of Cooley vital to my
collection.
 Now, if only I can find a complete Ossianic cycle...
I also intend to start gathering as much material I can concerning the
legends of the various Irish saints. Those poor heathen Northmen are in sore need of
enlightenment.
~Finnacan