[Bards] New Question

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Jun 30 19:34:58 PDT 2003

Come now, Your Grace, isn't being a ham an essential character trait for the
true bard?  It's not so much the applause or approval of the audience, I
think, as the sensation of creation, of weaving words and/or music to make
the images come alive in another's imagination.  To borrow a line from a
modern bard, Gordon Lightfoot, "Listen to the pictures flow, across the room
into your mind they go."  My drama coach in high school often stated his
belief that to entertain others was akin to a holy duty.

I have been known to tell stories and recite poetry, but I love songs best
of all.  I, too, have been a performer since childhood, involved in class
plays, choir (both school and Church), and anything else that gave me the
chance to perform.  As a teenager I discovered folk music, and fell in love
with the music whose roots go back so many hundreds of years, even before
written tabulature.  The SCA has given me the opportunity learn even more,
and a venue to practice my passion.

Padráig Ruad Ó Maolagáin
Titled Bard of Loch Ruadh
Titled Bard of Dragonsfire Tor