[Bards] writing poetry/songs

David Seguin dseguin at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 30 15:56:13 PDT 2003

For me the words are easy.  Course I may not follow a rhyme or meter.
 In fact this year I wrote my first piece in a period style.  I wrote a
piece of skaldic court poetry (draettkvaet) that I performed at kingdom
a&s.  For me the hard part was getting started.  Once I started it just
came out.  It's kind of like I have to mentally figure out how to
approach something and then it releases.   The reason I don't tend to
write much poetry, is that I don't really have a performance background
and I don't perform poetry well.  I've always been the writer that just
happen to perform his stuff.

But that's with poetry.  With my songs, the hard part is the music.  If
I have a tune, the words can be easy.  The best ones are inspired by
someone or some situation.  Writing one about a person is easy, because
the story is already there.  For the honor of the crown and spices and
gold are examples of songs written about a person.  Though sometimes
they just don't click.  But often they do.  Shield wall of ansteorra is
an example of a song written about an event.  My first warlord, was 4
years ago, when the tornado almost hit the site.  I was standing there
looking at the demolished list field, right after the event, and it
occured to me that maybe the tornado fled in tornado from the might of
ansteorra.   But even there, the idea languished, until queen kayleigh
praised me and encouraged me to write something for the ansteorran war
song contest.  One week later a tune that was going through my head and
some lyric melded and the song came out in a 2 hour writing session.

I guess that's the way with me, ideas will float around for awhile and
something will happen to spur me on, and they will come out.  Or in the
case of my poetry, I just need to sit down and face writing it and it
comes out then.  But I've never done things the normal way anyway.

pubear