[Bards] The Flash Flood

ML lymadelina at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 10:32:09 PDT 2003

Thank you for the suggestion on the title.  I believe
I will use it.

I, too, wasn't happy with "cumulo-nimbus", but
couldn't think of a shorter way to describe those big,
puffy clouds that stack up real tall and get real dark
and look kind of scary.... But I'll work on it some
more.

I searched the thesaurus, and didn't have much luck
finding a substitute for "batter", but maybe something
will come to me.

This: "teems out of its banks" is a good change, I
like it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually liked
the word "teems", though, because it conveyed to me a
sense of speed.  "Rushes" has a syllable too many, and
I thought "run" too often used when describing a
river.

I learn a lot everytime I post here.

Thanks again,
Madelina

--- Samuel E Orton <iainmacc at juno.com> wrote:
> 	Not typical, true. But excellent, I thought.
> Anyway, for
> constructive criticism....
>

> >The Flash Flood by Lady Madelina de Lindesay
>
> 	I think it would do just as well, perhaps better,
> just as "Flash
> Flood".
>

> >In the high summer, when the drought begins, and
big cumulo-nimbus clouds roll in, and all in a flash,
the lightning sparks bright, the brisk winds pick up,
then just before night, the warm rain comes down.