[Bards] Poetic Exercise #4

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Sep 23 22:13:35 PDT 2003

> But, er, this Iambic stuff has me molto confused.... Could you explain it to me? Anybody?

Iambic meter is really easy, and in fact, Ulf explained it so briefly that you missed it.

An iamb is a foot of an unaccented syllable followed by an accented one (ta-DUM)

An iambic line is several iambs in a row -- ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM

Ballad measure is all iambic lines, four feet, three feet, four feet, three feet.  Most songs in English are in ballad measure.

ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM
ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM,
ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM
ta-DUM, ta-DUM, ta-DUM.