[Bards] Alden's new song

Paul Haines alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 11 14:28:55 PDT 2004

Ok...in an attempt to put "A Song About A Song" behind me, I've come up with a new song.  Gerald gave me a copy of the Corsairs singing "The Mary Ellen Carter", which was written by Stan Rogers, and something about it inspired me to filk it.  If you know the song, I got the filk to match up pretty well.  If you don't know the song, it's still a pretty funny poem. :)  Enjoy!

~Alden

Molly Brown
By Alden Drake

Well my wife has been hounding me since I returned from sea

A list of chores and things to fix, she drives me up a tree.

She knows I love another and she gives me such a frown

But no wife could e’er compete with Molly Brown.

So I took a walk down to the pub to see my sweetheart dear

But I saw another bloke there, a-blowin’ in her ear.

Fear not my friends that’s not enough to get this sailor down,

For no sweetheart could compete with Molly Brown.

Molly Brown, Molly Brown,

She’s beyond all compare to the women in town.

Those who love her best and would call for glasses ‘round
Will raise our voices in a toast to Molly Brown.

If you knew sweet Molly Brown then you’d understand this song,

So I’ll tell you all about her, boys, so you can sing along.

I remember meeting her the day I first set out to sea,

For upon that day she made a man of me.

She is sharp a’fore and rounded aft, and just a little wide,

But I hungered so to climb aboard and take her for a ride.

And with every pass I made the waves were crashin’ all around

And made me fall head over heals for Molly Brown.

Molly Brown, Molly Brown,

She’s beyond all compare to the women in town.

Those who love her best and would call for glasses ‘round
Will raise our voices in a toast to Molly Brown.

Now Molly loves us sailors and she takes good care of us,

And when we run her sails full out, she never makes a fuss.

But while she’s quick to cast her lines, she runs both deep and slow,

And she never shouts when we go down below.

Now the girls ashore, oh what a chore, they complain day and night,

‘Bout what I couldn’t tell you, I just know we’re never right.

So if your wives and sweethearts have you feeling sad and down,

Then come with me and take a ride on Molly Brown.

Molly Brown, Molly Brown,

She’s beyond all compare to the women in town.

Those who love her best and would call for glasses ‘round
Will raise our voices in a toast to Molly Brown.

Now our Molly isn’t like the girls, who work down by the bay,

She does right by us sailors and then leaves us with our pay,

But the wives and sweethearts take the lot and head out to the store

And we turn and head right back to sea once more…

And you, who seek escape from all the women in your life

You’ll find no lass like Molly who will make a better wife,

But if you climb aboard another lady write you down,

In big bold letters on her stern plate ‘Molly Brown’!

Molly Brown, Molly Brown,

She’s beyond all compare to the women in town.

Those who love her best and would call for glasses ‘round
Will raise our voices in a toast to Molly Brown.

Molly Brown, Molly Brown

To the ship we all adore, let the chorus resound

No matter where you are the bell will ring throughout the town
And call you back to sail once more on Molly Brown.