[Bards] Well, it started with documentation....

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Tue Jan 13 11:14:29 PST 2004

MessageYou are too kind! LOL!

In my bleary eyed state, I miscounted -- the opening line is 5-4-4, which
about half the stanzas (if that's proper to call them) are anyway!

But, by sticking to the "rules" I created for myself, I think I got
something that I can tweak and trim (that "royal brotherhood" stanza has GOT
to go!!! LOL) into a florid little war woo hoo.

Now, back to the documentation thing. If this were better, I might could
enter it into a competition. My documentation would be a concise two or
three paragraph introduction to Dante, his worldview, his influences, and
his contemporaries. Another paragraph would explain how he developed his own
allegorically based rhyme scheme (terze rime) for the Divine Comedy. The
summation would be me explaining the allegorical reasoning behind my
concocted form, and and flourishes I want to add.

If it was a multiple piece contest, I would probably also write and perform
pieces in actual terze rime and/or related styles that influenced him,
probably starting with presenting an actual period piece to demonstrate the
"continuity" of the worldview and stylistic approach. I think this works for
Dante and his contemporaries because innovation was so much a part of their
"style" Everyone was striving for a "unique" but still recognizable
"signature".  If I were to do the same sort of cluster presentation in, say,
Norse, the formats for my original pieces would follow the fairly strict
forms that were admired and emulated in that culture.

Is that sort of thing considered "acceptable" documentation?

Esther

PS Thanks for the encouragement.