[Bards] gloom and doom

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Wed Jan 14 08:08:38 PST 2004

My latest sonnet is a bit gloomy and doomy, but it's probably one of my most
personal pieces, and as a result, probably one of my best to date.
Comments/Criticisms are always welcome.  I'm still just a baby bard, so I'm
keen on learning. ;)

~Alden Drake

Sonnet 15

The sun still shines but I see not the light,
Nor can I feel its warmth upon my face.
Adrift upon a sea of endless night,
Through shattered dreams my mind cannot erase.
When I first met my love beside the lake
I found in her the words to my heart's song.
Entwined as one, such music did we make,
But scarce a year had passed and she was gone.
Now left to walk alone upon the field,
I cut the flowers down that cross my path.
The lily and the rose alike do yield,
Let Venus suffer from my cold heart's wrath.
Come swiftly shadows now to hide my pain,
For I shall never see her face again.