[Bards] Let's Talk About Bardic Circles ...

Scarhart scarhart at chivalry.com
Thu May 20 19:33:22 PDT 2004

Okay, I'll bite.

The best bardics I have experienced have been the pass the candle type
circles. This gives those of us who can't be shut up a chance to perform and
then pass the torch and gives the shyer types a chance to perform as well. I
really enjoyed the format at Steppes a couple of years ago where a person
who got the candle could request a piece from a bard-who then performed-and
the candle went to the person next to the requester. The circle did not get
broken even though a bard performed out of turn. That also made sure that
everyone in the circle who wanted to perform could do so in a timely
fashion.

Themes are good if you have a themed event. Having a bardic devoted to
"Viking Randiness" or "Viking Prowess" at North Sea Raids might make sense,
but at a Loch Guardian would be silly. In the SCA, I tend to shy away from
any theme but the current middle ages.

Pulling a bardic from the brink takes a couple of things. First, you have to
be willing to cut the traditional bardic killer off at the knees. "My lord,
your story seems most intriguing and we thank you for it! There are many
others who wish to perform before the evening is done. Would you care to
state the moral of your story?" Run the bardic. Don't allow it to collapse
into a rambling story or really bad song.

Alternatively, if you have a really bad story or a series of songs that
threaten to turn the bardic into a silliness fest, as opposed to a good SCA
bardic, then you have other options. First and foremost, know your bards at
the circle and call them out. Somebody does a really bad rendition of
"Scarborough Faire" and people are leaving the hall, for example, and you
see me or Gerald or Cat or a host of other good bards sitting about, call on
us by name and by song. "My Lord Gerald, I hear the children crying out for
'Barley Mow,' Can you oblige?

My two pence.

Andrew Scarhart