[Bards] Greetings

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Sat May 29 08:31:21 PDT 2004

Greetings Fellow Bards,

I just wanted to say hello upon joining this list. I am still in shock over
winning the bardic competition at Steppes Warlord. There were some
incredible pieces performed that night and I am humbled that Their
Excellencies, Mahadi and Valeria chose me to be their champion. I never, in
my wildest dreams, expected such an honor. I am most gratified by thier
choice and hope to uphold it in the manner that those who held it before me
will approve and applaud.

This being said, I have a request. Despite Their Excellencies confidence in
me as their champion, I only recently returned to the bardic circle after
years of service to our fair Kingdom. When I first joined the Society, nigh
onto 17 years ago, I dreamed of being a bard. I collected many pieces but
never had the courage to do more than perform a few at scattered campfires
and circles. I never competed until Gate's Edge Cour d'amour last year. I
competed there because I was so very desirous of recieving one of their
first "Croaky Throat" awards for those entering their first bardic
competition conceived of by HL Snorri Hallson. Since my device is per bend
sinister, gules and vert, a frog rampant or, you might divine why I wanted
one bad enough to actually enter. I was amazed at the reaction of the
audience and the judges and this gave me courage to continue on with other
competitions.

However, because I had long ago decided that my service to the kingdom
precluded any other endevour, I gave away my collected poems, stories and
songs to a young aspiring bard nearly 8 years ago. I have next to nothing
left of the nearly 7 years I collected these.

So, here I am, Ravenskald AND Bard of the Steppes, with virtually NO
repetoir (sp) to fall back on. I wish to validate the confidence placed in
me by these two baronies but will need help to come up to speed in a very
short amount of time. Any help in this would be appreciated. If you could
contact me privately to send me the words to stories, poems or songs from
your collection, I would be most grateful. There are the old standbys, of
course, whose words I mostly remember just from being entertained by many of
you through the years, such as Rising of the Star, Queen of Argyle and so
on. But I don't know *all* the verses and even these old standbys would be
appreciated.

I am very excited to have returned to one of my first loves after so long a
hiatus. My pelican, Kief, who stood next to me as I was chosen for champion
of Steppes, has for some time been concerned that I was neglecting my
creative instincts in lieu of my focus on serving our Kingdom. It was he who
convinced me to sign my name on that list Sunday night. I was only going to
entertain the assembled populace if they would let me. See what happens when
you listen to a peer? :-)

If you, in the generousity of your heart, might send me somewhat from your
collected work, please send it to hlannes at ev1.net  I thank you now and will
thank you again when I read your missive. Until then, I remain...

In Service (but with a song on my lips)
HL Annes Clotilde von Bamburg,
Ravenskald,
Bard of the Steppes,
Protege to HE, Sir Arenvald Kief av Kiersted, Pelican of Ansteorra.
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen