[Bards] Need help with formats

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Nov 17 09:44:28 PST 2004

Esther wrote:

> Okay -- Blank Verse, what the heck is it? How do I do it? What did They use it for?

Blank verse is unrhymed verse.  Shakespeare's plays are (mostly) written in it, as were many other of the period.  Most Elizabethan blank verse is iambic pentameter.  (Five feet per line whose basic rhythm is iambic.)

> Also, I'm looking for good info on the Norse forms, and the Anglo-Saxon
> forms, too. Same questions as above, especially, "How do I do it?"

Come up to me at an event some time, and I'll hand you the handout from my class.  It includes Cedric's "The Birth of Fame", a Saxon-style alliterative verse patterned on "The Battle of Maldon".  It includes his documentation, which tells you how to do it.

Also, find Master Ulf sometime.  He knows a great deal about it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin