[Bards] Need help with formats

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 17 09:05:37 PST 2004

1. Blank verse - I know nothing about this.  I like structure. :)

2. Iambic pentameter is a poetic line containing five Iams.

An Iam is a foot containing two syllables where the first is unstressed and the second is stressed. e.g.  (da DA)

So iambic pentameter is: (da DA) (da DA) (da DA) (da DA) (da DA)

example:

Is this the face that launch'd a thousand ships?
(is THIS the FACE that LAUNCH'D a THOUsand SHIPS)?

Iambic tetrameter is pretty fun too (four iambic feet).

3. I have some notes somewhere on Anglo-Saxon/Norse/Old English poetry from Thomas Atte Wood of Epping.  I'll see if I can find them.

~Alden

ED Reese <reese_esther at yahoo.com> wrote:

Okay -- Blank Verse, what the heck is it? How do I do it? What did They use it for?

I'm still struggling with Iambic Pentameter, too, but am beginning to see the idea of it -- thank you, Tiggy!

Also, I'm looking for good info on the Norse forms, and the Anglo-Saxon forms, too. Same questions as above, especially, "How do I do it?"

Thanks!

Esther