[Bards] Re:Bardic and Performing Arts

Genie Barrett maggie.gene at justinanimator.com
Tue Apr 11 07:48:44 PDT 2006

At 02:25 AM 4/11/2006, Scott Barrett wrote:

>If one of my responsibilities as a storyteller is to speak truth to
>power, I will say this. I want the landed nobles and the current
>royals (Their Majesties and Their Highnesses) to invite performers
>to entertain them in intimate settings, not in the middle of court.
>We tend to follow the banners lifted by our nobles, so I say we
>convince them to host circles and shows. I wanna see the King
>(better yet, the Queen) at Gulf War host an Ansteorran 'Revel of
>Roses' or 'Minstrelfest', with formal invites to the other royals
>and performers of the various kingdoms for a grand night of
>entertainment. If we can't strive for the war point, we can at least
>honor and entertain those who can with one heck of a show every year.
>
>Well... there went an hour of my life.
>~Finnacan

Hear, hear, Finnacan.  I agree.  More informal/non-competition
performances, and separate the music from the static arts.  I, too
find it a bit... well I wouldn't call it pointless, but something
close, to compete against someone's pottery or embroidered glove.

On that note, I did sing at the A&S competition at Gulf Wars last
year.  There were only four or five of us after the formal bardic
performances ended.  We sang for two hours, trading off between
us.  It was fun, hard, and educational.  My voice was shot in the
end.  I wondered if anyone could hear me at times, knew they were
hearing me at others.  I will say, that I had more fun fire-walking
than I did there.  Somehow, fire-walking felt more "real,"  more
comfortable.  I hope to go to the war next year, but I don't know if
I will compete in the A&S with song.

I will say, that the most fun I have had in a long time, was the
feast at the Tourney of the Loch.  There, the baron invited bards to
perform while people ate.  We were in a small hall, and I had the
incredible and unusual experience of realizing that most, if not all,
of the people in that room were actually hearing me.  I have never
seen so many eyes at an SCA event when I was
performing.  Wonderful!  That's what I call living MY dream.

Maggie