[Bards] A Question of Categories

jerryn@houston.rr.com jerryn at houston.rr.com
Thu Apr 27 13:51:14 PDT 2006

Mot wrote:

"If there were to be a move to separate "true bardic arts" from
singing, acting, and instrumental music, it wouldn't particularly pain
me - I might be relieved to finally know exactly where I stand!  On
the other hand, will continue to do what I enjoy. "

I think that what we're talking here is more philosophy rather than
hard-line categorical seperation.

In my interpretation of what we're talking about here, it's not so
much that we're trying to place people in seperate categories.  I
think we're trying to find a way to recognize different disciplines
within performance arts in general.

But why bother?  I think it would help in judging, critique, as well
as teaching (Mot, you and I play music and sing, but that doesn't
limit us in what we WANT to do, it just makes it easier to determine
which disciplines we wish to use/learn).

"I agree with Gerald that music really lends to the ambiance of an
event.  "

There are a lot of people that follow that thought.  I noticed a few
people who might have thought I was pointing people out.  It wasn't my
intent.  I hope to inspire people to WANT to practice with their
instrument, so that with time and patience they can help provide the
gentle lilting sounds that takes an accountant away from the
campground to a pavillion beside a listfield, where the musicans can
be heard in the background as the combatants enter the field ready for
friendly competition.

I do agree with Mot in that it's a good thing people like to hear us
play, because I'm sure, on my account that I could hardly stop.

"Doesn't really enhance the category discussion but there's my 2 cent
ramble. - Mot"

I think it just did, myself.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate