[Bards] A Question of Categories

Martha Schreffler mot at swbell.net
Thu Apr 27 11:16:08 PDT 2006

I admit that I think of myself more as a musician than a bard - I occasionally wonder why I'm on this list but we all tend to fall under a catchall of "bardic arts".  I love to play music at events with other musicians (running into Gerald is always a pleasure...!)  and tend to bring music, instruments and stand to any event I go to.  I admit I don't know any Ansteorran history stories and I only occasionally try my hand at writing a poem.  If I imagine myself competing in a bardic competition I usually think of singing with an instrument or, perhaps, reciting something from a period play or poem.  If there were to be a move to separate "true bardic arts" from singing, acting, and instrumental music, it wouldn't particularly pain me - I might be relieved to finally know exactly where I stand!  On the other hand, will continue to do what I enjoy. I agree with Gerald that music really lends to the ambiance of an event.  Baron Thomas once remarked to a group of us "Your music
 sounds great!" I said "I'm glad you are enjoying it because you couldn't stop us!".

  Doesn't really enhance the category discussion but there's my 2 cent ramble. - Mot