[Bards] topic for discussion

Charles O Floinn thorn at raf662bravo.com
Wed Dec 13 10:45:18 PST 2006

I look at a local championship as being just that, local.  I have competed
for Steppes knowing I was just going to gain experience and not win, and I
have sung for the heralds at Bordermarch Melees to give them the experience.
But, since I live in Rosenfeld, how could I possibly represent Wiesenfeuer
or Bordermarch for instance by becoming their titled bard?  Would I have to
travel to every event the Baron and Baroness attend so I can perform my
duties properly?  I cannot afford that.  Winning a titled bard position just
so I can say I have is cheap to me and in my opinion cheapens the entire
competition.  And yes, I used the word duties.  These competitions are to
fill an office of honor and duty.  But give me an event that carries only
the knowledge that I now hold the golden can opener of bardic hospitality
(the winner is given the honor of opening any brown bottle waved before
them) and I will sing or tell a story there with gusto (and a wink or two
for the pretty ladies).

Charles O Floinn
Deputy Chatelaine,
Shire of Rosenfeld,