[Bards] topic for discussion

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 10:57:57 PST 2006

First things first, second things second ....

I have no problem competing in a championship I've won in the past.  I think
I was Gate's Edge champion three times.

Pros:  A performer returning to a competition in which they were the winner
in previous years has already shown, at least once, that they have the
wherewithal in performance to earn the title, so they help to set the
standard.  Unless there has been a change in the landed nobility they are
familiar with their patrons, and their patrons familiar with them.

Cons:  It can make it hard for new performers to gain confidence in
performing simply because we put great stock in previous performance.  Not
that it makes a difference on the day; if the new performer has an excellent
day, good tone, or the log give off sparks at the climax of their
story/poem/song, and the previous title-holder suffers from memory loss for
a song they've performed hundreds of times, the new performer stands a good
chance of winning the title.

And just so everyone knows, Alden won the Stargate title last Saturday.

Look forward to seeing everyone at Eistedfod.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am,
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate