[Bards] Topic: Comparisons

Kevin Valliquette grimolfr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 16:01:59 PST 2006

For discussion's sake, here's another perspective on the format Robert
mentions: I participated in this style of competition once (at a Northkeep
Castellan 4 years ago or so) and won't do so again. The reason? While it
sounds fun in writing (and to be fair, some people seemed to enjoy it), the
reality is that if you want to have any chance of winning, you have to spend
a fair part of your day going around and, well, bothering people. "Hey, will
you stop what you're doing and listen to the two of us perform and pick your
favorite." Most people will do so unless they're terribly busy, but I get
the distinct feeling that they're only doing so because they're too polite
to say "no, I'd rather not." So, to me, this is a form of "attack
bardic." Your mileage may vary, of course.

Grímólfr