[Bards] Question on performance judging forms

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 12:11:02 PDT 2006

My comment wasn't about having a form.  It was about qualifying who "wins".  I just think it's unfair to tell a performer or an artisan "it just didn't work for me" w/o giving some specifics about WHY.
  The judges on American Idol do it all the time with feedback like "you rocked dawg"...or "it was a mess".
  I would think you could get a lot more out of someone saying "your pitch was flat" or "you were off the beat" or "your story was too long and complicated"

Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
          Gwyneth asked:

  > That's great if all the judges are "moved" by the same piece.
  > Also, how do you give feedback to the others?  You need to
  > do more "moving" pieces?

  Why would having a form or not affect what feedback I give?  "You need to work on your diction" or "Your poem doesn't scan" work exactly the same whether there's a form or not.  Feedback does not require assigning numbers in categories.

  Most helpful feedback I've gotten as an Ansteorran bard for more than 1/5 of a century has been from one-on-one discussions.

  The kingdom Eisteddfod was judged without forms for years.  The judges got together and talked about what they heard, exchanged ideas, and came up with a winner.  Feedback was offered to anyone, and could be quite useful and pertinent.

  Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin