[Bards] Question on performance judging forms

Kathy Elliott bardkat at verizon.net
Thu May 11 07:26:59 PDT 2006

As a judge, I'm not always looking for the most moving performance.  What if
the performance that makes me cry is a bad rendition of "The Baron,"
haltingly read from Voices of the Star?  Even a bad performance of that poem
will bring an audience to tears.

I see the forms as being the most useful when comparing apples to oranges -
for example, an Elizabethan love sonnet to a "Born on the Listfield."  I
also see them as a useful tool to help cram us all in the same "box" for
judging purposes - which we do need to do sometimes.  How else can you
compare a carved oaken chair to an original composition performed in a
period style?  As performers, forms can also help us prepare for a
competition.  If I know what my score will be based on, I can choose pieces
and tailor my performance to the judging criteria.  Isn't that the same as
playing to your audience?

That being said, I don't think we should marry ourselves to the forms, or
even use them in every competition.  They can be a good tool, and a starting
point for judges' commentary.  They can especially be a useful tool for new
judges learning how to give feedback.  They can be nice in very large
competitions to help you remember details about a performance you heard over
an hour ago.  A local competition with 5 entries?  I probably wouldn't use
them.

And, I don't use them in the final round of a bardic competition.  By the
time someone's gotten to the finals, we should already know that they have
good diction, tone, movement and flourishes, etc.

(okay, I'll stand back & duck now!)

Kat