[Bards] Question on performance judging forms

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Thu May 11 22:46:07 PDT 2006

Yes, well said, but as I mentioned to Master Ulf, that may be the
beginning.
I see the first and primary obstacle as audience interest or engagement.
If you don't have that, there are some basics that need to be polished.
Those basics may need to be applied to a particular piece, or to your
overall style.
Once you've shown you can hold the attention of the audience,
especially with a challenging piece, judges can move on to more
specific aspects of the performance, such as timing, clarity, the
material performed, etc.
Master Ulf had a well defined stance on this and may be able to give
this viewpoint more clarification.

Me, I look at it like this...

First, gain audience attention.
  Show a developed sense of crowd awareness and mood. If you hit a
cheery crowd with a funeral eulogy, you deserve the thump of every drum
you hear at the growing hafla.

Second, maintain audience immersion.
  Understand your material and the audience well enough to be intimate
with the audience emotionally. I usually describe this as speaking or
singing with us, even if we are silent, rather than speaking AT us.
It's good ol' engagement and reaction, pure and simple.

Third, enlighten audience horizons.
  Let them see medieval, kingdom or local history with your material and
technique. Many folks will never read Arthurian tales, Irish sagas or
research Ansteorran legends, but they can get them from us. For a lot
of us, this is a huge exercise because we want to offer original works
while being true to history in form and subject. I like a well
performed historic piece, but I love an original written with period
elements.

Once these first three are delivered, scoring specific performance
techniques and material can commence. Well, that is how I judge, anyway.

Fourth, increase audience anticipation.
  This one is tricky and I can only share my own experience. It comes
from not only performing pieces you 'own', but regularly providing new
material that achieves the first three. This can't be judged in a
single competition, however, and has no place on the form. We don't
need judges scoring something as nebulous as wordfame (or in my case,
infamy).

~Finnacan