[Bards] DASMoBA and Kingdom Bard

Dawn Rummel dsrummel at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 18:58:55 PDT 2006

Master Ihon wrote:
  This office will be happy to facilitate Bardic Collegia.  Is it the sense of those participating (and lurking :) ) on this list that there should be at least one bardic centered event each year?  Master Ulf shared his dream for a bardic event with me that lit my fire but neither of us have been successful in bringing it to fruition. What say you, bards and performers, as to where this responsibility should lie?  Should the DMoAS be instigator or facilitator?

Antonia responds:
  First, as the bardic collegium has been organized by the kingdom bard two years running, and as two years makes it maybe almost a tradition, I’d like to hear the Elanor’s take on the subject.

  I believe (and hope) that the bardic community benefits from the bardic collegium, and thus I hope that it (or something along those lines) will continue to be put on each year.  I like the idea of making the bardic collegium the responsibility of the Deputy Minister.  By doing so, we give the job (and it is definitely a job) to someone who has applied for a job and knows what they’ve gotten into, and we free up the Kingdom Bard to focus more on performance/writing/community/etc.  It worries me that wonderful bards might hesitate to enter Eisteddfod because they think that planning the bardic collegium comes as part of the title and they don’t want to do it or feel that they’re just not good at that sort of thing.  That having been said, I also believe that the Kingdom Bard should be heavily involved in the bardic collegium.  I can see this being an odd relationship to work out at first, but if the first few get it right, we’ll have a good standard to follow.  Of course,
 I'll be there to help no matter who organizes it.

Antonia