[Bards] Question on performance judging forms

Beth Wolff wolffsrun at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 11 06:03:06 PDT 2006

Hear! Hear!

  I would rather have the opportunity to hear/discuss/offer feedback face to face any time. It's a much better venue for being able to also get advice on ways to improve my works. Bardic Bootcamp was founded on much the same principle and it has worked magnificently for many bards since, myself being one.
  Master Robin, I owe you and Lord Alden a debt of thanks..........we may well be judging Eisteddfodd a little differently this year!

  Elanor

Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
          Gwyneth asked:

  > That's great if all the judges are "moved" by the same piece.
  > Also, how do you give feedback to the others?  You need to
  > do more "moving" pieces?

  Why would having a form or not affect what feedback I give?  "You need to work on your diction" or "Your poem doesn't scan" work exactly the same whether there's a form or not.  Feedback does not require assigning numbers in categories.

  Most helpful feedback I've gotten as an Ansteorran bard for more than 1/5 of a century has been from one-on-one discussions.

  The kingdom Eisteddfod was judged without forms for years.  The judges got together and talked about what they heard, exchanged ideas, and came up with a winner.  Feedback was offered to anyone, and could be quite useful and pertinent.

  Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

Make a joyful noise unto your Kingdom!