[Bards] Dear God! Does he get paid by the word? <was Bardic College>

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 2 06:36:32 PST 2006

Snipped from Ivo's post:

1) I do want to see some structure built as a support system for bardic.

I agree.  I think having identified "go-to" people would be beneficial.  And I don't think we need a lot of structure, just some well placed contacts for people to use.

2) I do want to learn skills like better Persona play, which I was told,
rather directly, was NOT the charge of the bards by an individual.

Persona play could be a bardic art.  I see no reason why not, but it's not a skill limited to bards.  I've seen great persona play by individuals who don't call themselves bards.

3) I want to see a system where Bad bards are allowed to practice before
other bards, and given the chance to improve, rather than unleashing
themselves on a competition cold.

I'd rather say, "I want to see a system where ALL bards are allowed to practice before other bards..."  But really, that is perfectly do-able now.  I like to think I can go up to any bard and say, "I'm working on this piece.  Can I perform it for you for a critique or for improvement help?  Some people have a problem asking for criticism.  I'm not one of them, but I know several who do.

4) I would like to see a common online, centrally available, depository of
both bardic pieces and reference materials, a bardic library if you will.

Um...hello....http://bard.ansteorra.org - but I can't go digging for information myself.  I'm happy to add whatever people send me though. :)

5) I would like to see some system set up where bards, even if only on an
unofficial, unrecognized level, are offered regalia that would denote them
for their strengths(story, song, poetry, history...)

There's been a lot of nay saying about "merit badges" and ranks, but I think there is some validity to it.  The archery community is a good example.  They use the Royal Rounds to recognize skill levels with different weapons.  They have five ranks in four categories (five if you count children's).  You can learn about it here: http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/  just click on the Royal Rounds link on the left menu.  I've *never* seen any stink raised from the system, and no "better than thou" attitudes come from it.  Most archers view getting their tassle as an honor, especially since it's a recognition from the archery community.

6) I want to see a resurrection of inter group bardic challenges where the
champion bards face each other in a friendly but public settings.

I agree, and think it would be great fun!  That's something bardic champions should take to their patrons and propose/encourage/push/brow-beat. :)

~Alden