[Bards] Just a few words (really good words

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Nov 8 10:44:01 PST 2006

Michael Silverhands and I have exchanged:

>> What the few of us who want a college should do, for the next
>> couple of months, is spread the word about the idea of a college,

> Tell us what that idea is first, please.

The idea is for the bards to meet together regularly.  I've said that many
times.  I think good things grow out of people getting together regularly,
and I don't know which of thousands of possible things will happen.

If I wanted to be as "political and exclusionary" as some people have
intimated a college must be, then these questions would have specific
answers: "I want to make the college hold the following events", or "I want
the college to memorize the following twelve Latin hymns".  But I don't want
to dictate policy.  I want us to get together, in mutual support.

Meetings.  Actually getting together.  Just like I keep saying.

But you want to know what would come out of those meetings.  I don't know.
"I can't explain why bards meeting regularly in mutual support at events
with lots of venues to perform will help.  I just know that it will."
(Robin of Gilwell  10/31/2006)  If I knew, we wouldn't need the meetings.
People will say things.  This will spark other things.  We'll see each
other's faces, break bread together.  More collegiality.

> Listen to... what? Answers to the question "Should we have a
> college?" as the first talking point? How can anyone give an informed
> answer to that question until the framer of that question (that would
> be you, Robin) tells them why they might want one, and what that
> means, and what a college would do for them that they can't do for
> themselves (or at least tell them how a college would do a better
> job)? Specifically, unambiguously and clearly.

I have answered this specifically, unambiguously and clearly, more than
once.  I want us to have meetings, regularly, all over the kingdom.  That's
what I want.  Please stop acting like I haven't said this.

Meetings lead to collegiality, spread of ideas, special projects.  I have
said this too.  I don't know what projects it will lead to, because I don't
know what ideas other people will bring up, or which ideas will grab enough
of us that we will jump in on them.

If we have meetings, we will get to know each other better.  Some of us
might start bring food or drink, and they might turn into parties.  We'd
have discussions about ideas.  We'd see each other's faces, we'd be able to
clarify misunderstanding instantly.

>> What do I want from the college?
>> A group presence.
>> A sense of belonging that is more definite than "all the Ansteorran
>> bards already form a community, kumbayah".
>> A structure to make it easier for us to develop group projects like
>> the Sir Orfeo, Nine Worthies, and Crowns of the Sable Star projects.
>> A group body ready to take classes on the road.  (Yes, many of us
>> are ready to do so.  But there is at present no group of people
>> ready to do so as a body.)
>
> Ok, that list is a start. Thank you! :-)
>
> But I don't see anything there to challenge the idea that folks could
> do all of those things without creating a formal political entity (a
> college), and might be better served without one.
>
> I'm open to the idea! Truly! I just don't see it, given the reasons
> that have been put forth so far. And I would like to see these
> questions answered. I want to know what the idea is before I choose
> to embrace it.
>
>> The functions of the college aren't something that a few of us will
>> decide on in advance and tell everybody to do; it's what the
>> college decides to do, month by month.  Maybe soon the "function"
>> of the college will be to set up another Sir Orfeo project .  Maybe
>> at another time we'll be organizing a trip out west with lots of
>> bards bringing lots of classes.
>
> Those all sound like *very* cool ideas!
>
> Please tell me again how an informal group of interested and
> motivated bards can't do that now? Or how a college could do those
> things better, and how that would be different (and better) than an
> informal group etc.?

We'd meet.  That really is the answer.  Getting together is step one of
every project.

"Having a college gives us a time and place to encourage it.  If I want to
hold a bardic event, I'm alone in a room.  There's a lot of legwork and time
just to find out if anyone's interested.  But if I'm in a college meeting
and I suggest it, I have an autocrat, a bunch of committed teachers, and a
large group of people excited about it within three minutes.  (This is an
actual example, and how we came to hold the Bardic Colloquium in Black Lake
in 1988.)"  Robin of Gilwell  10/25/2006

"Master Cadfan came to the College with the idea for the Orfeo project.  Sir
Orfeo is a period poem that takes roughly thirty minutes to perform.  We got
volunteers in Ansteorra and Calontir, split in into six sections, and
performed it as a relay three times, using a total of nine bards from each
of the two kingdoms." Robin of Gilwell 11/2/2006

"Then a college appears, and people ask him if he'd like to join the College
of Bards.  Suddenly he sees himself as a member of the club.  He has the
blue sash and everything.  He attends some of the meetings, and gets to know
who the bards are.  People assume that they will help him, and he starts
thinking it's his job to help other performers, too.  He's a Bard."  Robin
of Gilwell  11/1/2006

>>   Somebody suggested badges indicating expertise.  I have no
>> interest, but if enough people want to do it, then they can.
>>
>> But step one is to talk to more bards and find out if they want a
>> college, and what *they* want a college o do.

> I disagree. Step one is to define what you mean by a college. Then
> you can ask folks if they want one of those things.

My first image is a group of people who get together to talk.  Things will
grow out of these meetings that nobody planned.  I don't know what they will
be.  I want to go around talking to people about what they need.  How can I
responsibly make a more specific proposal if I haven't done that yet?

That's a serious question.  As near as I can tell, you, Alden and Finnacan
are upset with me because:
a. You're afraid it will be too exclusionary, and
b. I  don't want to give final answers without talking to more people.
C'mon, guys, it can't be both.

But my proposal remains exactly what I keep telling you it is: we get
together regularly, in mutual support and collegiality.

"Having a college gives us a time and place to encourage it.  If I want to
hold a bardic event, I'm alone in a room.  There's a lot of legwork and time
just to find out if anyone's interested.  But if I'm in a college meeting
and I suggest it, I have an autocrat, a bunch of committed teachers, and a
large group of people excited about it within three minutes.  (This is an
actual example, and how we came to hold the Bardic Colloquium in Black Lake
in 1988.)"  Robin of Gilwell  10/25/2006

"When the College had meetings, ideas were exchanged among a bunch of people
at once.  Just as the same piece has a greater effect when fifty people are
listening than when three are listening, the same idea has a greater effect
when fifty people are listening."  Robin of Gilwell  10/25/2006

"I feel like I'm trying to explain sex to a virgin, while sitting on a
perfectly good bed.  I can't explain why bards meeting regularly in mutual
support at events with lots of venues to perform will help.  I just know
that it will."  Robin of Gilwell  10/31/2006

" I suggested that we would have greater collegiality if we officially
banded together, met regularly in fellowship and mutual support, and did
things together as a group."  Robin of Gilwell  10/31/2006

"Then a college appears, and people ask him if he'd like to join the College
of Bards.  Suddenly he sees himself as a member of the club.  He has the
blue sash and everything.  He attends some of the meetings, and gets to know
who the bards are.  People assume that they will help him, and he starts
thinking it's his job to help other performers, too.  He's a Bard."  Robin
of Gilwell  11/1/2006

"Here are a few examples.  Somebody came to a College meeting from the West,
asking for help, when I was Principal.  I asked if she could autocrat an
event.  We talked for a little bit, until several people had volunteered to
go out and teach, and somebody had volunteered to organize classes, and the
rest of the event was put together.  A few months later, a lot of us went to
Black Lake and had a day of classes, followed by a feast and evening of
performances.

"Master Cadfan came to the College with the idea for the Orfeo project.  Sir
Orfeo is a period poem that takes roughly thirty minutes to perform.  We got
volunteers in Ansteorra and Calontir, split in into six sections, and
performed it as a relay three times, using a total of nine bards from each
of the two kingdoms." Robin of Gilwell 11/2/2006

"My recommendation is that we get out there and talk to people, have two or
three meetings (I've volunteered to sponsor one at Twelfth Night in the
Steppes, but we shoudl have several others) and try to get the word out to
as many bards as possible."  Robin of Gilwell 11/06/2006

"What officers would we need?  Probably only one -- to coordinate meeting
times and places. "  Robin of Gilwell 11/06/2006

" A.  Yes, of course a meeting will reach more people.  We have around a
dozen participants, and only about half that number deeply involved.  Back
in the early eighties, when the kingdom was one third its current size, we
never had a meeting that small."  Robin of Gilwell 11/07/2006

"I'm advocating a series of meetings and informal private conversations, all
over the kingdom.  I hope people get together out west.  I hope they get
together up north. "  Robin of Gilwell 11/07/2006

This is the answer I've given each time you ask, and it won't ever change.
Step one is to meet regularly.  In those meetings, either we will come up
with step two, and the college flourishes, or we won't, and it quietly dies.
I think it will flourish, because I think bards enjoying speaking out in
front of others.

But that's the proposal.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin