[Bards] The Right Questions

Beth Wolff wolffsrun at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 9 18:19:44 PST 2006

May I answer this?
  As I understand it, while most believe that documentation should be a part of a Kingdom level competition, I have not been told that Eistedffodd requires it. And this also raises the question of static documentation vs performance documentation. There are elements to each that simply don't work for the other, and there are elements that are congruous to both.
  As to the place of this in competition,I believe Alden said it first, so I simply echo him.....".I'm not judging your documentation, I'm judging your performance."
  If your verbal documentation tells me the same thing your written documentation does, I'm satisfied. I am sure others have different opinions about this, and I'm not trying to start another blowup on this list. It's a topic that has been bandied about for as long as I have been a bard. I encourage documentation at this competition, either verbal or written as long as it is concise and informative/relevant to the piece. However, I will not count it against a competent bard if they do not document each piece. Others will do this differently during their tenure I'm sure. More power to them!

  Elanor
  PBA

gail young <gwynethb63 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    I was really talking about Eistedfodd.  Doesn't that competition expect documentation?
  gwyneth

T'Star <bedlamandmayhem at gmail.com> wrote:
  Ma'am. The problem I see with that? Is most of the A&S venues and
competitions require more documentation than is either readily
available or can be applied to origional pieces. By limiting it to
A&S competition rules, that would limit bardic severely. Yes, having
more appear in A&S competitions would be wonderful, but making that
the main goal of Bards would be a different name on the same
problem... with even fewer options.

~Svetlana

On 11/8/06, gail young wrote:
> I think if you would move as a group towards making bards more of a part of
> the mainstream A&S community you would make people more aware of your
> talents then you as a group would become more aware of others talents and
> therefore get stronger. If that happens, then the A&S community as a whole,
> and therefore Ansteorra as a whole, gets stronger. MY first step, if I were
> a bard, would be to make my spotlight event ligitimate by bringing it into
> the A&S venues.
> But, I am not a bard. I am here only to promote the Arts and Sciences in
> our Kingdom.
> gwyneth
>
> Robert Fitzmorgan wrote:
>
> So here are a few of my questions.
>

> What does a thriving, growing, healthy bardic community look like? How
> is that different than what we have now?
>

> What would you like to see happen that isn't happening now? How can we
> make that happen?
>

> What can the bardic community do to help you as a bard?
>

> What can you as a bard do to help the bardic community?
>

> What other questions should we be asking ourselves?

Make a joyful noise unto your Kingdom!