[Bards] Bard and beers-an event

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Mon Nov 13 17:49:09 PST 2006

Concerning developments on this topic, after talking with the Kingdom
Seneschal.
(Hey guys, sorry I've been away, new job and making a number of phone
calls on this topic. No, I haven't bailed on the idea, but I'm reminded
that good ideas = volunteer in this group)

Originally the idea was to combine Kingdom Eisteddfod, a Kingdom level
event, with another field of interest, this one being brewing,
vintning, mazing, etc. Eisteddfod is still open for groups to bid on,
and does not penalize a group's calendar for the year. The idea that
Bards and Beers could become a constant event is a delightful one in my
mind, but there remain a few things to consider.

One, the brewers have no Kingdom level event at this time. If they are
a part of a bardic event, it's because the hosting group has made them
welcome as a part of the event. They, like many other would-be Kingdom
level events, will likely want a trial period of 2-4 years to see if
there's interest enough for the event become a part of the Kingdom
roster of events.

Two, Eisteddfod was wanting not for attendance, but for competitors
when held at Twelfth Night. Those events where Eisteddfod was a stand
alone event had a decent number of competitors were not well attended
overall, making the event less interesting to some groups for bidding.
Now that Eisteddfod is at one of the most heavily attended events in
the kingdom, it is suffering from lack of competition. This is likely
due to the large amount of business, socializing and high court play
one encounters at Twelfth Night. People are going to Twelfth Night for
Twelfth Night, and little else. Therefore, it stands to reason (at
least in the opinion of the Kingdom Seneschal and myself) that a more
casual event would be more advantageous, that is when compared to a
huge event with limited space, or an Eisteddfod held by itself. If a
group is interested in having Eisteddfod and willing to consider that
they may become the event's long term home, I strongly support them.

I'm in talks now with numerous people at the behest of a few on this
list and I am considering a couple of options.

It occurs to me that if the problems of Eisteddfod can be solved by a
simple yet effective move, the brewers may find that...

A.) the new group hosting Eisteddfod is welcoming to their
contributions (which I'm working on... My theory is, invite the
brewers, they will come).

B.) (My favorite) The brewers can join us not for Eisteddfod, but a
bardic/brewing collegium, which naturally would end with one heck of a
revel.
The only problem with "B" is that neither of these events would be
Kingdom Level, and so would either have to be held at an existing event
or a group or pair of groups would need to volunteer to host.
If anyone is interested (Ivo, you keep talking about this, I'm looking
at you, and the north could support that all on it's own) than you may
find this is easier than trying to finagle around with a Kingdom event
AND a new event for brewing.

At this time I'm testing the water with a number of folks and I hope
the brewers can be a part of whatever comes along. If so, they may find
that they want to stay with Eisteddfod or would like to share a
collegium with us.
My overall goal is...
A new home for Eisteddfod with better support and a more relaxed
atmosphere.
An Eisteddfod in winter within ease of reach.
An Eisteddfod wherein the brewers can set up shop, teach and taste.
Bardcraft and Beverage arts supporting a group that has enthusiasm and
the ability to host us.

Plans are afoot, but you don't speak for others, so I can't say much.
Suffice to say, I'm working on it.

~Finnacan