[Bards] (no subject)

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Wed Nov 1 08:47:14 PST 2006

If I may add to Master Robin's excellent advice (as well as that of the
other good bards who have responded):

Practice, practice, practice.  Know your chosen pieces so well that
performing them is as natural as breathing.  I practice during my commute
to and from work (about an hour each way), especially when a competition
is coming up.  I also like to practice in front of the bathroom mirror, to
check my expressions and gesures.  This helps in becoming comfortable with
your performance, and will help see you through the nervousness we all
feel when performing.

Maggie suggested a scent kerchief or sachet, which strikes me as an
excellent idea.  Another help that many bards use, and one that I have
used myself, is to carry a mug, and take a sip from it if you need a
moment to gather your thoughts or recall a line, and having the familiar
weight of it in you hand can provide a calming influence.

And remember:  everyone in the audience, especially your brother and
sister bards, are wishing you well - you will be among friends.

Padraig
--
Nunc est bibendum.

Robin wrote: